A serious injury can transform a happy, prosperous life in the blink of an eye. One moment, you’re looking to the future, and the next, you are looking at months of painful rehabilitation and recovery. When an accident occurs because of someone else’s actions, it adds to the anxiety and anguish felt by the victim. This is where personal injury lawyers come into the picture.
Keep reading to discover more about the role a personal injury claim lawyer plays in helping you seek justice and how to find the right lawyer for your case.
Understanding Personal Injury Law
Before we talk about the role of personal injury attorneys, it’s best to know what personal injury law is. Personal injury is an area of the law that deals with situations where a person is injured due to the negligence of another individual.
The primary purpose of personal injury law is to help the victim receive compensation for their pain and suffering, medical expenses, attendant care costs, loss of income, and property damage. Lawsuits also serve the vital societal function of encouraging people and organizations to be considerate of others’ safety.
Some of the most common accidents that lead to personal injury lawsuits in Ontario are:
- Serious automobile accidents
- Slip and fall injuries
- Pedestrian accidents
- Pet attacks
- Snowmobile accidents
- Medical malpractice
- Birthing injuries
- Boating accidents
The Role of a Personal Injury Lawyer
Personal injury matters come at a time of great physical and mental turbulence for the victim and their family. That’s why personal injury claim lawyers play a dual role; they act as your attorney and your guide through a commonly unfamiliar process.
These are the elements that personal injury lawyers near you will assist you with:
- Representing Your Best Interests: Throughout the matter, your lawyer will inform you of and assert your rights and advocate on your behalf. They will represent you before insurance companies, negotiations, mediation, and the courts.
- Legal Advice: Your personal injury attorney will outline your legal options, the chances of success, and complex legal and insurance jargon. In sum, they will provide legal advice to help you make informed decisions about your case.
- Investigation and Evidence Gathering: A personal injury law firm will investigate the accident, obtain medical assessments of your injuries, acquire the police report, and more to build a strong case for you.
- Assess the Damages You Have Suffered: Assessing damages is a complex process. It requires calculating the cost of medical expenses, rehabilitation, attendant care, pain and suffering, long-term disability, and more.
- Negotiate with Insurance Companies: Lawyers negotiate directly with insurance companies to attempt to reach a favorable settlement for you. They will also protect you from lowball insurance offers and unfair insurance scrutiny.
- Representing You Before the Courts: If your case goes to trial, your lawyers will formulate a legal strategy and represent you before the courts. This includes presenting evidence, cross-examining witnesses, and making arguments in your favor.
Guiding You in an Uncertain Time: The personal injury process is an unfamiliar, harrowing time for the victim and their loved ones. Personal injury lawyers near you will answer questions you have, provide objective advice, and help you deal with the stress associated with the legal process.